Monday, March 16, 2009

A Time Consuming Little Jacket

A friend asked me how I was going to price my clothing. We talked a bit about materials and hidden costs like pattern paper, then she asked about my time to make these things. Oh, boy.

I already knew that if I factored in the salary I had been making when I was working for the doll company, the clothing wouldn't be affordable for anyone. (Well, maybe some - but I'm talking about most.) So I decided to just price it at a point where it might sell, and I might be able to make a buck, and pretty much disregard my time. I still wasn't expecting this time-crunching monster of a jacket, though.

Here came lesson number, ummm..... 374? Don't design your things, make the patterns, buy the fabrics, then think about cost. Here's the little demon I'm talking about.

Isn't he cute? I thought so until I started to time how long it was taking me to sew this. So much time was being taken up just changing the thread colors. And the topstitching - what a pain. And the number of pieces in this jacket? Fourteen, if you don't include the pocket tabs as part of the pattern. It takes thirteen steps just to sew and finish the sleeves. Okay, I'll stop griping now.

I decided to make four of these in each size (12 & 18 months, 2, 3, & 4T). Twenty jackets in all. I've only finished four so far. Maybe I'll have these done by the end of the month. We'll see. Still, there has to be something interesting in the design - otherwise, what's the point? Anyone can find a plain denim jacket out there - and for a lot less than what mine costs. The next jacket (or dress, or shirt) I design, though, will definitely have more consideration for time factored in!

No comments:

Post a Comment