Thursday, March 19, 2009

Designing a New Dress

I've been working so long now on my 'line', that it's feeling stale (even though very little of it is actually posted for sale yet), so I've decided to throw in a couple of one-of-a-kind dresses. I have some really pretty floral linen fabric that's been sitting in a box for a while, so I thought I'd use it. To save some time, I'm going to use a pattern I created for my niece's christening dress for one, and re-make a commercial pattern for the other.

One of the best parts of design (at least for me) is this 'playing around' stage. Just laying the fabric out, looking through my trim box, choosing colors... this is what I live for. I can't pick up a piece of girly fabric without gathering it at the top like a skirt. (I know there are some out there who know just what I mean.) Here's the fabric and some different trims.

I took my length of fabric and shaped it flat on the counter to make the rough shape of the dress. I considered the idea of making the bodice white, but it wasn't quite right. I liked the way the white set off the trim, though, so I wanted to keep it in some manner. I ended up making a flat bias piece, about 5/8" wide, at the waist and sleeve. Then I decided to make the collar white and add the trim there. I ended up using the trim shown in the center. (And see how nice the fabric looks gathered up on the 'skirt'?)


The only un-fun part of making this was realizing I didn't have any lining that was already washed (and the linen was), so it meant getting the washing machine going. I hate laundry - in any way, shape or form! And here's the finished product, below. Don't you just want to go buy it? (Say yes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment